Wednesday, October 14, 2009

VIX 22.5 and A Lesson Learned

Back down to the VIX's traditional range. This is moving up the net value of my portfolio as much as anything else. AAPL implied volatility will really drop after earnings on Monday too.

Confessional about some of the dumb moves I made during my excursion from posting all activity. Wasn't that dumb, but definitely a learning lesson. With 3 weeks until October expiration with AAPL trading at around 185 I bought an AAPL 190 call for $3.85. I held on for a couple weeks and sold the position last week for $3.60. When I sold it AAPL was up around 190, I was right about AAPL's price movement. I had feared that theta would eat away at my long call's value when I bought it, and this fear was realized. I also thought that AAPL would be reporting earnings before October expiration when I opened the position, that's the foolish part. I was thinking the increase in volatility before earnings would make up for the lost time value. Hopefully, last time I make a mistake like that.

Overall, glad I got out with a meager lose. The 190 call is now trading at $2.30 with AAPL trading at $191.28.

No comments:

Post a Comment